- quarantine for 10 days
- take a coronavirus (COVID-19) test on day 2 and day 8 of quarantining
- follow the national restrictions
Please note that you cannot currently enter the UK if you’ve been in or through a country on the banned travel list (sometimes known as the ‘red list’) in the last 10 days, unless you’re British, Irish or you have have residence rights in the UK.
Before you travel
Before travelling you must:
- take a COVID-19 test and get a negative result during the 3 days before you travel
- book and pay for a travel test package, which will include COVID-19 tests to be taken on or before day 2 and on or after day 8 of your quarantine
- complete a passenger locator form with details of where you will home quarantine when you arrive and the travel test package (if you are arriving from a non red-list country) booking reference number
Quarantine for 10 days after you arrive
When you arrive in the UK, you must travel directly to the place you’re staying. You should only use public transport if you have no other option.
The 10 day quarantine period is continuous from the day you arrive in England. You must quarantine in one place for the full quarantine period, where you can have food and other necessities delivered. You must quarantine at the address you provided on the passenger locator form.
This period is necessary because it can take up to 10 days for COVID-19 symptoms to appear. You can find more information on the government’s website
If you’re travelling to England from or through a country on the banned travel list you will need to book a place in a quarantine hotel and arrange coronavirus (COVID-19) tests. This option is only available to those who are British, Irish or you have the right to live in the UK (This includes those holding a Student Visa but NOT a visitor visa).
Ending your quarantine early: Test to Release
You can use the Test to Release for international travel scheme if you have not been in or through any country that is on the travel ban red list in the 10 days before you arrive in England.
The scheme lets you choose to pay for a private COVID-19 test. If the result is negative, you can stop quarantining. You cannot take a test to release test until you have been in England for 5 full days.